Monday, August 30, 2010

They matched Home Depot Offer

I had visited Home Depot for possibly buying 50 bags of eucalyptis mulch. Delivery would cost 79.00. I noticed online that Lowe's also charged 79.00 to deliver - 20 bags or 50 bags of mulch, same cost..hmm..

When I asked further about arrangements for delivery, the clerk voluntarily told me we could use their truck free for 75 minutes! That sounded great. I was impressed he volunteered that info! Go Home Depot!

I hopped over to Lowe's to compare mulch - lo and behold they had the "chunky" eucalyptus mulch where Home Depot had the "stringy" type only. I preferred the chunky. Also Lowe's had in stock and assembled, the tumbler type , barrel composter I'd been wanting!

I asked Lowe's about using their truck for free . They said no, $20.00 for 75 minutes.
Seems in this economy stores are open to "matching" competitors offers, so I mentioned Home Depot's free truck offer.

Lowe's said they had heard of that special offer - did I have the coupon for it? Home Depot did not mention a coupon so I didn't. Lowe's called Home Depot to confirm their offer.
Lowe's said Home Depot also required you to pay for the purchase with their card, which Home Depot also had not mentioned to me.

So, Lowe's said if I applied for and used their card for the purchase over 100.00 they'd match Home Depot's free truck use! No problem - only took a few minutes. I'll pay off the card immediately since frugal moms try to avoid interest and late fees.

Everything worked out great!
Total savings at Lowe's: two expired coupons - 35.00; free truck - 20.00 = 55.00

Hubby said why didn't I ask for a quanitity/bulk discount on the 50 bags of mulch!
Oh well, next time I can do that!

No comments:

Post a Comment