Saturday, August 28, 2010

Healthy weed killing

After reading and googling online for info, I tried "solarizing" to kill weeds before laying down the mulch.
The patch of yard was somewhat bare dirt already which surely helped.

After a rainy day (which frugally saved my using the garden hose and adding to the water bill) to wet down the area, I placed opaque thick plastic sheets on the spot. They were left over from my wonderful husband's Boy Scout Leader days when they used such stuff underneath tents. Yes! Just waiting in the garage for me to frugally use!

My wonderful husband (WH) knew exactly where they were and quickly produced this treasure from the camping supply section of the garage.

There was a nice quantity brand new plastic sheeting in the box, to easily lay out! I anchored it with large stones/bricks I had on hand. I also used some of the plastic pre cut in a tent floor design, which was partly brittle and fell apart, but others worked fine. (I pitched the brittle stuff! I"m not that frugal!! ha ha ha)

So far - no money spent at all!

God provided nice sunny days a lot this week, which helped too. Ideally I think you are to leave it on the yard up to 30 days, but it was too unsightly.. SO....I removed it today after one week -- and many weeds had turned brown underneath! It did rain yesterday so it was easy to dig out with a shovel all the brownish weeds, etc..

Money saved also includes: - no gym fee to get fit! - (lots of reps in bending, shoveling, carrying, lifting, stretching, etc!!)

2 comments:

  1. We saw you both out there working hard this morning. Forgot to drive past on the way home though. Can't wait to see your new yard! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! All prayers appreciated. It may take a l o n g time...sigh...but our thousand mile journey has begun with a few single steps...
    :)
    I asked our Growth Group to pray for me a month ago...and suddenly I began to enjoy researching and fixing the yard up!!

    ReplyDelete