Saturday, August 28, 2010

God's Abundant Provision of Beauty

A dear friend, Nancy, gave me Mexican Petunias from her yard in June. Her yard is ablaze with their delightful color. She assured me they make lots of babies easily and are simple to grow and keep alive.

In Florida, I've killed some purchased plants so have not planted much lately.

Recently was forced to transplant an old azalea bush - which did not survive.
(It was comforting to later learn that they are among the most difficult to transplant successfully.)

SO...the above gift of Mexican petunias stayed healthy for two months in their pot placed inside a large bucket of water.
Ignored them - been traveling -- been busy -- been too afraid to touch them lest they die on me but they've been fine! (except no flowers yet) The bucket of water kept them well watered with no work on my part for two months! (except once I did change it for freshness...:) )

Need to research online tips to succeed with these. They are called "invasive" but I love that!
Their colorful flowers are lovely. I like invasive! It means "frugal choice, hard to kill etc!"
Yes - bring on such invasives any time.

(I planted them in a space bordered by my garage, stepping stones, and mature bushes. Those boundaries should help the "invasive" problem..

Just like with people - boundaries help us not invade other people's spaces and vice versa..
And, similar to gardening boundaries, they may need tweaking, studying, revising, etc..but that's ok -
there is joy in the journey and in the process, not merely in the goal or final destination.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Patty. I am so excited to see you blogging. I look forward to reading what you are doing in your yard. I enjoyed the comparison of plant boundaries and people boundaries. Keep up the great work...beauty is right around the corner...those petunas will keep small purple flowers in your yard all summmer long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If she has any extras I'd love some, too. I'll be planting impatiens in a couple of weeks myself . I'm ready for some more color in my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tonya and Patty...the mexican petunias are growing abundantly over here and I have some to spare if you want them.

    ReplyDelete