Tuesday, December 14, 2010

keeping warm frugally

Brr!! It's below freezing here the past few nights.

That's why I will never buy plants for the yard that are susceptible to freezing - too much trouble and risk of losing the money spent on them.   There are plenty of hardier plants that will suit my purposes of a pleasant yard.

We're empty nesters so if you have kids, some of my  ideas may need to be modified of course!

Last night slept in a room that stayed around 68 or a bit lower, with little electric usage, and   felt very toasty and warm.

  Moved to the family room which  has a comfortable couch for sleeping.

It has 3 inside walls which provides great "insulation".   Moved the couch several inches away from the window so it was away from that one outside wall and older, non efficient windows.  (Weatherstripping and caulking are coming soon!)

I  had used my nifty radiator style/oil filled space heater to take the chill off the room. 
I also closed tightly all vents in the other rooms of the house, so when the central heat did come on a bit, it would quickly heat just this  room - where the thermostat is-  which is perfect!

This morning after  a cold 27 degrees  during the night outside, this room was 68 and  the other rooms were 50!  Mission accomplished.

Pput a thermal blanket as a bottom sheet and covered with one plus a soft thick bedspread.  We also have  a down comforter which  may be used tonight.

I wore my knit hat since most heat is lost through the head.  Double layer of socks, sweat pants and sweat shirt for pj's - here in FL I don't even own thick flannel pjs and I won't buy any.   They would be  more  clutter and we  seldom need them. 

Kept a thermos of hot "sleepy time" tea near my bed for a few sips in the night too which was fun!

I will do my paper work etc here in this warm room today.  May do  some baking in the kitchen where the oven will warm that room!   Goal is to not need  that  "kilowatt hog" central heat!  Hubby can heat his office with another space heater as needed.

Time to warm my heart with an exciting time in my daily Bible Study!  Using J Vernon McGee   Thru the Bible in 5 Years, from the radio.  About a paragraph a day.  Love pulling out my Study Bibles, and using the notes, plus Matthew Henry Commentary.      I've learned to write down all I'm learning so it sticks in my head and my  heart much better.    I try to do this before listening to his show - which  also comes online at my convenience  if I miss the radio time.

Heat up your tea or coffee and join me!   We're in Malachi 1: 13-2:2 today.

The joy of the Lord is my strength! (Happy)   My steaming green tea is waiting! (healthy)
Room continues to stay 68 with  no electricity being used (frugal)

Warm Hugs
Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment