Sunday, January 9, 2011

Insomnia Help

Insomnia is a root of many problems.
Including -  weight gain - sleep deprivation turns on the "hunger hormone".

  I find myself craving and munching all day long after a poor night's sleep.
But with deep sound 8 hours, I do not have any abnormal cravings or hunger.   I eat a  normal amount of calories - about 1500 - which for me, a short , 57 yr old woman, is what I need to lose weight slowly and steadily.  But with insomnia, I end up eating l700 or more which results in NO weight loss.

I slept well a few nights last week!
One necessity seems to be  the cal/mag pills.  I'm using
Solaray brand, Cal-Mag Citrate with   1:1 ratio/ plus Vitamin D 400 IU
I take two, 3 times a day, for a total  of 1,000 mg each daily.


PLUS exercise is a necessity.   I don't like to do it!
But I sure like to sleep well so I can think straight, be cheerful and lose weight!

SO..the day I jogged last week I slept well that night!
  Plus I ate salmon for lunch (Canned = frugal)
 and some (canned=quick) turkey breast for supper.  Salmon has that wonderful fish oil for brain health, incl. insomnia I figure.  Turkey has great amino acids to help with sleep.

I also quickly turned off any "negative" or stressful talk/ or shows of any kind of the TV or radio.
I chose to listen to only uplifting, fun, cheerful stuff.

Plus I used  one chammomile tea bag with one Nighty nite Tea bag, poured boiling water over them, covered, for 15 minutes.  Drank around 8 pm, so by 10pm at latest, they were well absorbed and digested.

Today I walked for 15 minutes, ate the salmon, and turkey and took the cal/mag.
I will keep praying for a good night sleep - for me and for several other dear folks who struggle this way too.

1 comment:

  1. Love reading your blogs. You have so many wonderful ideas I'm going to adopt! Just a love note (you prob'ly already know) -- be careful of canned meat & fish. They are so high in sodium. We should have no more than 1500 mg/day of sodium. That's hard. When I began reading labels I was stunned! Most Americans consume over 2500 mg/day. Some of my favorite deli meats and salad dressings are over 500 mg/serving! So, one slice of turkey, and 2 TBS of lite ranch dressing and I've had 1000 already!! No salt on my table now! John has borderline high bp so we really watch it! Love ya! Sandy B

    ReplyDelete