Monday, January 13, 2014

"No Maintenance Home Grown Food"

Chaya!  Tree spinach!  Wow, the whole world should know about this…especially the world of warm climates where it grows well.

Protein, Vitamin C  and more..  Google it yourself to find out what a powerhouse of nutrition this plant is.

My sister gave me a stick of it from her yard. I stuck it in the ground, watered it a bit.

Forgot about it.

It's in partial sun, front yard, against the garage.  We live in semi-tropical climate.

A year later I have a huge tree!  Too much to keep up with.

I pick off the leaves when I get the time, boil them about 10 minutes to kill the trace amounts of cyanide websites mention just to be safe.  I puree the leaves in my Vita Mix blender, then freeze them in ice cube trays.

I add these cubes to smoothies, soups and casseroles.

Viola!  Totally free, no work-,can't kill, nutritious food!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Patty! This is very interesting! Would you mind bringing a few leaves to church so I can try it? Paula

    ReplyDelete